Sunday, March 6, 2011

Curds!


Back-to-back weekends spent at home allowed me to finally make my first batch of mozzarella cheese and can some luscious lemon and lime curd!

Patricia and I were so amazed that the cheese making adventure actually produced stringy, delicious cheese, that we didn't even stop between mouth watering bites to take pictures (but next time I will...). We are already daydreaming of warm summer nights with fresh cheese, tomatoes and basil. YUM!

Something about this week's warmer weather tricked me into thinking spring (as it also tricked a few flower bulbs sending green sprouts up to greet us), and mouth puckering citrus fruits.
I decided to make lemon curd and lime curd, using the recipe in "Put 'em Up".
Each batch made 3 half pint jars plus another 1/2 jar extra (for immediate consumption of course).

The result - WOW!!!! I never knew how easy to make and amazingly, decadent and luscious lemon/lime curd could be! While making it, I found myself wondering what baked goods I could make to put the curd on... but now I know, it will probably all be eaten straight from the jar, with nothing but a spoon!!! Citrus heaven!

(the pictures aren't the best, but I thought I would post them anyway)


2 comments:

Patricia said...

um. yeah. BEST CURDS EVER! it's a good thing the two jars you gave me (THANK YOU!!!) are all nice and sealed up looking pretty amongst my other canned goods, otherwise they'd probably already be gone.

people keep asking me if I've had any pregnancy cravings and I can't really say i have...until now!

also, we MUST make cheese again. so easy and satisfying. and way cheaper than the fancy store-bought mozzarella!

The Schaefers Go To Hawaii said...

You are making me hungry!!