Since I am unable to find a ceramics/pottery class close to home, it has been nice to find other creative outlets. The learning environment is great too. Small classes (max 15 people), Navajo teachers and besides Patricia and I, Navajo students. It has been a good way to integrate into the community and learn more about the culture, language, and traditional crafts. A common joke out here is that "all white people look alike", so I was excited when a patient said to me the other day "Hey! Aren't you in my silversmithing class?".

Hopefully tonight I will finish my second project. Unfortunately, because of the cost, we are only given yellow brass to work with. Here is Dave sporting my first project - a traditional stamped bracelet. I'm not sure if they were just being nice, but my co-workers were impressed with my handiwork!
1 comment:
That looks really awesome! I saw a bangle similar in width and stampedness to that one in this really cool store in Paia and wanted it, but there was no price on it. When I asked the clerk how much they told me $200.00.
That definitely looks amazing, Julie! The craftsmanship is so good I would have thought it came from a jeweler for sure.
Post a Comment